You may have heard over the last couple of days that ITV2 are running an ‘Apprentice-style’ television show for wannabe magazine journalists. ‘The Exclusives’ will run for seven weeks and follow six contestants as they are set weekly challenges based on magazine and celebrity journalism. The winner will win a 12 month contract with Bauer Media and complete a series of paid internships across the company at titles such as Heat, Closer, Empire and FHM.
Lots has been said about it on Twitter recently and it’s received quite a mixed review already. A lot of people have said it sounds ‘interesting’ (but take that as you will!), some seem genuinely excited about it, while others have labelled it ‘depressing’.
I can’t quite work out if this is the best idea I’ve ever heard or the worst. It really depends on how exactly they plan to format the show and whether they plan to pick people who will make good magazine journalists or who will make good television.
If they go for choosing people who will make good television I think the show will really anger me. Especially if they’re people who haven’t shown much interest in journalism until the start of the show. The kind of people who saw an advert for the show in a magazine (as Bauer are running adverts across their titles to promote the show) and applied on a whim thinking that it sounded like fun to get to interview their favourite celebrities.
Having said all that, I know that I will watch the show and I will get drawn in and addicted. I know I’ll love it, even if it is really bad (let’s be honest, you’re talking about a girl who loves TOWIE and Made In Chelsea, of course I’m going to love a reality show about journalism!).
Plus if it’s anything like the American show ‘Running in Heels’, it has the potential to actually be quite good. And as the production company behind the series (Twofour) were also responsible for the amazing ‘Educating Essex’, I am hopeful.
If this sounds like your kind of thing and you’re interested in being on the show, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form. Applications close January 24 though so be quick about it.
Also, let us know your thoughts on the Apprentice-style show via the comments or tweet us @wannabehacks
- ITV2′s new journalism show ‘The Exclusives’: A review Let’s all just breathe a massive sigh of relief. Why?...
- Richard Doherty: Young journalists just get dumped for the next free person, says former NUJ General Secretary Richard studied philosophy from Glasgow University before going onto do...
- Jamie Chadd: Getting involved in student media, a look at television Jamie Chadd can be found blogging here and tweeting here....
- Grazia is inspiring our younger journalists in the only language they speak: Celebrity The Maverick and I spoke yesterday about Grazia’s latest intern...
- Jemima Johnson-Gilbert: how to have an idea Jemima graduated from Newcastle University in 2007, only to flee...
After finishing my stint in student media, I couldn’t help but look